RULES AND BY-LAWS
OF THE IOWA DAIRY GOAT ASSOCIATION, INC.
REVISED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, DECEMBER 6, 1969, AMENDED BY MEMBERSHIP NOVEMBER 6, 1971, AMENDED BY MEMBERSHIP FEBRUARY 7, 1974, REVISED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS DECEMBER 6, 1980, AMENDED BY MEMBERSHIP DECEMBER 7, 1981, AMENDED BY MEMBERSHIP OCTOBER 4, 2014.
Section A: Any person, corporation or partnership owning either registered or grade dairy goats, or demonstrating interest in promotion of the Dairy Goat industry and are of good moral character are eligible for membership.
- All applications for membership shall be subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
- Trial of members of IDGA shall be in accordance with “Roberts Rules of Order” Miscellaneous Part III, Paragraph #69.
- Membership fee is voted upon at the annual meeting by the general membership. Dues must be paid before membership can be accepted.
Section B: The Board of Directors may confer on any deserving person or organization and honorary membership in this organization.
Section C: Membership year is from January 1 through December 31 of the same year.
Only yearly paid membership are allowed to vote during the elections of officers and Board of Directors at the annual meeting.
Section A: The officer shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary and the Treasurer.
- The President and Vice-President shall be elected each year at the annual meeting of the membership for a term of one year and may not serve for more than four (4) consecutive years.
- The Secretary and the Treasurer shall be appointed by the Board of Directors. The performance of these officers shall be reviewed by the Board of Directors at the annual meeting and either reinstated or replaced.
- Each officer shall be responsible to the Board of Directors at all times.
Section B: President
- He or she shall be the chief executive officer of the association to maintain general supervision of the affairs of the organization.
- He or she shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and the membership.
- He or she shall report to the annual meeting of the membership and make suggestions he or she deems appropriate for the coming year.
- He or she shall have the power to appoint all committees.
- He or she shall appoint an auditing committee each year to audit the books of the association in plenty of time in order to have an audited treasurer’s report at the annual meeting of the members.
Section C: Vice-President
- He or she shall preside at any meeting of the Board of Directors or the membership in the absence of the President.
- He or she shall in the absence, inability or failure of the President and upon the direction of the Board of Directors, assume the duties of that office.
- He or she shall hold a position on the Board of Directors and have equal powers on the body as those of the elected directors.
Section D: Secretary
- He or she shall be the recording officer of all Board of Directors and membership meetings.
- He or she shall receive, send, record, and report to the Board of Directors ALL correspondence of this association.
- The location of the associations business shall be the address of the person currently holding office of Secretary.
Section E: Treasurer
- He or she shall be responsible for the financial affairs of the association.
- A complete and orderly set of records shall be kept at all times.
- The location of the association’s banking business shall be determined by the current treasurer and Board of Directors.
Section F: Resignations
Any officer wishing to withdraw from his/her office may do so by turning in a written letter of resignation sixty (60) days prior to termination date to the President.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section A: The Board of Directors shall consist of five (5) elected members, the President and the Vice-President.
- The directors shall be elected at the annual meeting of the membership each year.
- Two (2) directors shall be elected to two (2) year terms each year.
- One (1) director shall be elected to a one (1) year term each year.
- The directors with two (2) year terms shall be elected in alternate years so that two (2) are elected each year.
- No one family shall have more than one (1) member holding an elected office or on the Board of Directors at one time.
Section B: In addition to the seven (7) member Board of Directors, it will be allowed that the State be divided into four (4) districts divided by Highways #65 and #30.
- The members of each district can organize themselves and elect a member who is given equal powers on the Board of Directors as those of the elected directors.
- Each district will come under the control of the entire Board of Directors.
- Publication of the organizational meeting of each district will be published in the September issue of the Newsletter, so all members are aware of the meeting to be held in October.
Section C: Duties
- Each member of the Board of Directors shall take the general interest of the IOWA DAIRY GOAT ASSOCIATION, INCORPORATED to mind and make suggestions that seem appropriate for the benefit of the club.
- The Board of Directors shall form themselves into a nominating committee for the election of candidates for President, Vice-President, and directors to be voted upon at the annual meeting of the membership.
- They shall appoint the Secretary, Treasurer, and editor for the club.
- They shall have the power to appoint someone to fill any vacancy that may occur in any office during the year.
Section A: All officers to be elected shall be elected at the annual meeting of the membership.
- Additional nominations for candidates to fill offices shall be called for from the floor.
- Before a person can be nominated for any office he/she must be a member in good standing of IDGA for at least one (1) year.
- If nominees for offices or directors are not present during elections, prior approval from them should be obtained.
Section B: Elections shall be by secret ballot.
- The secretary shall prepare the ballots prior to the election.
- Two (2) tellers shall be appointed by the President to distribute and count the ballots.
- All officers and directors must be legal residents of the state of Iowa and must be 18 years of age on or before the date of the meeting.
Section C: The Board of Directors shall determine the eligibility of all candidates for office.
Section D: Each paid family membership will be allowed no more than two (2) votes. A single head of household is allowed 1 vote.
Section A: There shall be an annual meeting of the membership, the time and place to be determined by the president and board of directors.
- A quorum at any meeting of the membership shall consist of at least fifteen (15) persons of the paid members.
- Additional membership meetings can be held throughout the year as deemed necessary by the President and Board of Directors.
- Board of Directors meetings can be called by the President if he deems it necessary. A quorum of the Board of Directors shall consist of fifty percent (50%) of its members.
- Prior notice of any upcoming meetings shall be publicized in the Newsletter.
Section A: The Board of Directors shall see to the issuance of a quarterly newsletter to inform the members of the activities, plans, meetings, and other pertinent information to the Dairy Goat Industry.
Section B: The name of the newsletter shall be: LAST’N DAIRY GOAT NEWS.
Section C: The newsletter will be issued to each paid family membership.
Where points of order arise, “Roberts Rules of Order” shall prevail.